Saturday, May 30, 2009

BAMA BASEBALL SEASON COMES TO AN END

BY NICK TAYLOR

ALABAMA BEASEBALL COACH JIM WELLS



The ALABAMA BASEBALL TEAM saw their 2009 season come to an end after dropping consecutive games at the CLEMSON regional. Bama was eliminated via a 6-2 loss to TENNESSEE TECH on Saturday. The tide finished their season with a 37-21 record but lost a disappointing 6 of their last 7 games to end the year. There were many positives to this season as COACH WELLS took UA to a regional for the 12th time in 15 seasons. This season marked the only time the crimson tide have dropped the first two games of regional play since COACH WELLS became the team's skipper in 1994...

Also Kent Mathes was the nation's co-leader in home runs with 28 and was named first team all-American earlier this week. All SEC third baseman and reliever Jake Smith as well as pitcher Austin Hyatt were third team all-American selections. Juniors Brandon May, Jake Smith, and Del Howell should be the leaders of the team statistically in 2010 should they decide to return.

On a personal note... I have enjoyed covering the team this year and will of course as always miss the guys who leave to pursue their dreams and their life after college. I want to thank my website partner DAN HARRALSON for making trips to Tuscaloosa during the season to help me gather photos and interviews for the site.

I especially want to thank COACH WELLS for his time and cooperation by granting me interviews and allowing me access to the team during practices and after games. Coach you are a HALL OF FAMER and a great coach and a great friend. I for one hope you decide to keep coaching for many years to come. Thank you for all you have done for me coach...

GOD BLESS YOU AND ROLL TIDE!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment